TEXAS MARINE DEPARTMENT
The Texas Marine Department was organized by Major General
John B. Magruder, commanding District of Texas, New Mexico and
Arizona, in September 1861. The Marine Department was responsible
for the defense of the Texas coast, and was commanded by Commander
W. W. Hunter, and later Acting Commodore Leon Smith.
Two Norwegians have been identified as serving with the Texas
Marine Department during the war, through their biographical
sketches printed in "A History of Texas together with a
Biographical History of Houston and Galveston".
(186?/15) Ole Christian
TELLEFSON - Private
Transferred from Co E, 1st Texas Heavy Artillery Regiment early
1863. Stationed at Galveston, engaged in refitting and building
vessels for Confederate service, among them the CS Bayou City,
CS John F. Carr, Neptune, Lone Star, Florelda, Uncle Ben, and
several others. During a severe illness in the spring of 1865
(March?) he received a pass from Maj. Ge. John G. Walker to
leave the state and run the blockade to Cuba, on the steamer
Denbigh, and went thence to Mexico, where he remained until
the close of the war. D: ? (alive 1915), Galveston, Texas.
WILSON - Private
B: 5 Dec 1837 in Norway. Biographical sketch says that at the
beginning of the war he volunteered in the Confederate Army,
serving one year in the field, chiefly on Galveston Island (the
unit has not been identified). He was then transferred to the
Marine Department, serving as a pilot on trading vessels running
between Galveston, Houston, and Trinity River points. Transferred
to Co D, 2d Texas Infantry Regiment 21 Apr 65.